Live in Europe for less
Wish you could live in Europe for three months, but don’t think you can afford it? What if I told you it’s possible to live in Spain for 12 weeks and spend less than you would in most American cities?
Hear 5 tactics we use to live in Europe for less
Geoliberate for less by living in Europe
On this episode of Queer Money®, we walk you through the five strategies we’re using to live in Spain for LESS than we might spend in a comparable US city. We explain how we chose the seaside town (and gay mecca) of Sitges and why we’re traveling there in the offseason. We also share the advantages of staying in an Airbnb over a hotel and describe the deep discount we negotiated with the host for our extended stay.
We go on to talk about the benefit of avoiding high-cost, touristy areas and leveraging public transportation to keep our expenses low. Listen in for advice on securing affordable global travel insurance and learn how YOU can replicate our geoliberated lifestyle and live overseas for LESS!
Topics covered on living in Europe
Strategy #1—Choose a location with a lower cost of living
- A small town in Spain vs. Madrid or Barcelona
- Travel in offseason (rentals for ¼ of cost)
Strategy #2—Stay in an Airbnb rather than a hotel
- The kitchen gives the option to cook over eating out
- Negotiate a deeper discount for a longer stay
- Pay with a rewards card to earn miles for the next trip
Strategy #3—Avoid high-cost, touristy areas
- Explore the southern tip of the country
- Limited time in Barcelona (celebrate New Year)
Strategy #4—Don’t rent a car for the duration
- Public transportation phenomenal
- Rent a car for day trips if necessary
Strategy #5—Purchase global health + travel insurance
- ACA policy does not cover care overseas
- Protected if get sick, need to return to the US quickly