What we learned on the Queer Money Tour
We just wrapped up the first leg of the Queer Money Tour, and what we learned will both inspire and challenge you.
Hear what we learned on the Queer Money Tour
A tour recap
We need to start talking about money. To build a strong queer community with the financial resources to live our best lives and continue to push for equality, we’ve simply got to share what we know. So, how do we start the conversation and catch up with other communities?
On today’s episode of Queer Money®, we’re sharing the three themes that emerged from the first leg of the Queer Money Live Tour. We discuss the recurring idea around spending to make up for the past, explaining how we develop attachments to things to mask our pain and why we spend to prove we’re lovable.
We go on to explore why the LGBTQ community seems to have accepted debt as a way of life, challenging you to look at whether you truly have an income problem or a spending problem. Listen in for insight into how sharing what you know helps our community make better financial decisions and get inspired to take on the Credit Card Interest Rate Reality Check!
Topics covered about the tour
The inspiration for the tour
- Connect with LGBTQ community face-to-face
- Behind other groups when comes to money
1. We spend to make up for the past
- Spend for self-care (undone by financial stress)
- Develop attachments to things to mask the pain
- Spend for validation, to prove we’re lovable
- Spend to impress a group or fit into an archetype
2. We’ve accepted debt as a way of life
- Spending problem vs. income problem
- Don’t know how much we pay in interest
- What would life be like without debt?
- Must believe financial freedom possible
3. We need to start talking about money
- Sharing what we know helps others
- The conversation expands what seems possible
- Active discussion around building wealth
- Donate to LGBTQ causes + push for equality
Resources from the Queer Money Tour
- Credit Card Interest Rate Reality Check
- Credit Card Pay Off Course
- Queer Money Facebook Group
- Subscribe on iTunes
- What We Learned on the QMLT
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org