How can you benefit from a side hustle?
One of the big lessons we’ve learned in 2020 is that an extra stream of income is ALWAYS a good idea. But how do you pick a side hustle that’s right for you? Find out here.
Hear ways to succeed in your side hustle game
Want your own side hustle?
If Daniella’s interview inspired you to start a side hustle, but you don’t know what side hustles might be best for you or how to start a side hustle here’s your solution – sign up for Daniella’s Launch Your Side Hustle training here.
Daniella will help you come up with your idea, put that idea into action and then walk you through how to bank on that idea. This will help you create a new income stream, increase your income and reduce your reliance on a boss.
How many reasons do you need to make more money?
Start making money with a side hustle
Daniella Flores is the creator of I Like to Dabble, a personal finance blog designed to help others build bigger and better lives with side hustles. In less than three years, Daniella and her wife Alexandra paid off $35K in debt with what she calls side dabbles—and by ‘getting their financial shit together.’ A software engineer by day, Daniella is passionate about helping people bring in more money and manage it well.
On this episode of Queer Money®, Daniella joins us to explain what inspired her to become a serial side hustler. She discusses how being openly LGBTQ has helped her as an entrepreneur and describes how financial autonomy has both improved her confidence and changed her outlook on life. Listen in for Daniella’s insight on what makes for a successful side hustle and learn how YOU can take the first steps to earn extra money doing something you love.
Topics covered on side hustles
What inspired Daniella to dabble in side hustling
- Tried freelancing to supplement income as a software engineer
- Started blog out of desperation (laid off twice in a single year)
Some of the things Daniella has done to make money
- Freelance gigs in web development
- Repair and resell PlayStation consoles
- Resell items from garage sales/thrift stores
- Freelance writing and graphic design
- Live painting at festivals
How COVID impacted Daniella’s side hustle earnings
- Ad earnings and traffic drop in March, April and May
- Numbers started to go up in July
Daniella’s take on what makes for a successful side hustle
- Research what’s in demand
- Know schedule (time to commit)
- Works with personality type
How being openly LGBTQ has helped Daniella as an entrepreneur
- Support of queer community within personal finance space
- More confidence than ever had in a day job
How financial autonomy has changed Daniella’s outlook on life
- Inspire other Latinas to build wealth
- Possible to leave day job eventually, move out of state
Daniella’s advice on what side hustles you should avoid
- Stay away from multilevel marketing companies
- Be cautious of weight loss/fitness shakes, forex trading
Daniella’s first steps to starting a side hustle
- Brain dump ideas, highlight any that make you smile
- List of skills already have and want to learn/build on
The pros and cons of using a side hustle to pay off debt
- Fast-track process without giving up fun activities
- The danger of budget creep
The top obstacles to getting started with a side hustle
- Overwhelmed by the idea of creating a website
- Don’t understand the legal side, especially taxes
Daniella’s advice on building a website for your side hustle
- Use page builders to drag and drop on WordPress
- Consider using LinkedIn profile as a portfolio
Connect with Daniella
Resources for multiple incomes
- Debt Free Guys’ Free Debt Lasso Calculator
- Daniella’s Launch Your Side Hustle Training
- Daniella’s Blog on the LGBTQIA+ Community & Money
- Washington’s LGBTQ Chamber of Commerce
- Ikigai Model
- Live Debt Free or Make More Money on Queer Money® EP105
- Manny Cosme on Queer Money® EP205
- Queer Money Facebook Group
- Queer Money on Instagram
- Queer Money on YouTube
- Email [email protected]